Independent Bookstore Day | April 29th
Back-to-back exciting weekends! I did manage to grab the exclusive Taylor Swift release on Record Store Day, so worth the 6:30 a.m. wake-up. Now this weekend celebrates another one of my passions, books!
Observed on the last Saturday in April, Independent Bookstore Day (IBD) celebrates indie bookstores and their owners. Participating stores will often have special sales, events, exclusive products, and sometimes even author visits!
Sundance Books & Music
This is the only store in/near Reno officially participating in IBD this year, so they will be the only store with IBD exclusives. In years past, I have found special book editions and even a unique candle from Frostbeard Candles at Sundance!
- Hours: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Location: 121 California Ave.
- IBD Details: They suggest arriving early to shop all the IBD exclusives before they're gone.
The Radical Cat
Books AND cats, what's not to love? The Radical Cat is a wonderful bookstore that focuses on topics such as activism, antiracism, LGBTQIA+ authors, and more. They also have an adoptable cat lounge, so you might bring home a new friend with your books!
- Hours: 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Location: 1717 S. Wells Ave.
- IBD Details:
- 10% off all books
- 15% off any purchase $100+
Word After Word Books (Truckee)
An absolutely gorgeous bookstore if you have the time on Saturday to drive out to Truckee!
- Hours: 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Location: 10052 Donner Pass Rd.
- IBD Details: Local authors Leticia Aguilar and Eve Quesnel will be in-store from 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. to sign their book "Leaving Patriarchy Behind." No tickets are required.
Golden Owl Bookshop
Northern Nevada's first mobile bookstore! Their store is an incredibly cool shop on wheels that pops up at events around town. They can be found every Saturday at Riverside Farmer's Market at the McKinley Arts Center, which will be switching to Sundays at Idlewild Park on May 7th. You can learn more about Golden Owl's story on this episode of Renoites.
- Hours: 9 a.m. - 12 p.m.
- Location: Riverside Farmer's Market
- Free sticker & bookmark with each purchase while supplies last.
- $5 t-shirts.
- 10% off all book purchases.
Both new and used books can be found at Grassroots. In addition to paperback and hardcover books, they sell CDs, DVDs, comic books, video games, audiobooks, and vinyl. You can even bring in your used forms of media to sell! They have a wide variety at excellent prices, so they're always worth checking out if you're looking for something specific or just want to browse until something finds you.
- Hours: 9 a.m. - 8:05 p.m.
- Location: 660 E. Grove St.
What store will you visit this weekend? I went a little crazy on Record Store Day, so I might need to sit this one out. 😅
Post a Comment